'On Religion was definitely one of my favorite chapters of the book. I found that I could relate to some of the things it says such as, "Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations?" (103). At my summer job a girl asked me, "Well are there any strict beliefs that your parents have because of your religion?," and I really had to think about this question. I know that some of our dress restrictions are based on being Muslim but others are just because of the way my parents were raised. So this line really resonated with me because how can you separate the two when they are constantly intertwined. But as always there are exceptions to every rule because I know that some of my actions are separate from my faith.
I also liked the second part of the quote because in history class we always have heated debates, and I find myself believing the side I'm on, even if I do not necessarily agree with the situation. Since I have spent so much time working on the debate, during them, I start to believe what I am saying, even if I know it's not right. And so I think we get so wrapped up in what we are doing, we start to believe it, and then it becomes real.
image from: flickr

No comments:
Post a Comment