There are numerous accounts in morning meeting when I wished I were somewhere else because they are just so boring. Typical announcements made by teachers, and all the while, the students have to sit there and listen to every single one of them. But a very vivid experience I had was at Interfaith Camp that my dad made me attend because he was on the board for the organization. I didn’t want to talk about religion or anything of that sort. I remember being at the check-in table, struggling to take my nametag because I really didn’t want to be there, I truly wished I were somewhere else. I had just left my job for a week for a camp that I never wanted to go to. I struggled because it was a new experience, I didn’t know anyone there, and I surely didn’t want to talk about religion. During the first day, I started to think about doing everything else besides enjoying myself. I wanted to be somewhere different. However, during that week, I found myself enjoying the camp a lot and I found that it was not just about religion, but also social justice. I think what worked was that instead of thinking about being in other places, immerse yourself in whatever you’re doing. I think it helps you become more open in a situation and then you will be able to let loose and be yourself. I think Gilbert had a similar experience where she had to tell herself to enjoy what she’s doing instead of thinking about being somewhere else. It definitely helps to have positive thoughts as well because they help contribute to the experience.
This is my favorite line:" I think what worked was that instead of thinking about being in other places, immerse yourself in whatever you’re doing." I is very honest and very good advise. Great Job, this is very well written!
ReplyDeletethis post was very similar to Hannah's post where you go into something not liking it and end up coming out of it enjoying it. I like it because it shows how much life can surprise you.
ReplyDeleteIf you dont want to be somewhere I understand why it is hard to try and get involved as much as you can. It is good that you were able to fully immerse yourself in the camp and enjoy yourself. It is good that you were able to overcome that! good job!!
ReplyDeleteI like what you say about immersing yourself in what you are currently doing. I think that that is a more effective way of forgetting about a burden then thinking about "nothing, or peace" because at this time we do not know what it feels like to live without that burden and the only way to do that is to surround yourself in a physical activity that you enjoy
ReplyDeleteIt is really hard to be in a place that you don't want to be but I think that you are exactly right when you say that to over come that you need to completely immerse yourself in the experience. Regardless of how one feels about being someplace you can not come to enjoy it without committing to the experience.
ReplyDeleteThat's so interesting Amirah, I didn't know you did that this summer. It's great that you ended up loving the experience, I guess you never know what you're going to like!
ReplyDeleteI really like this post. It is good that you started looking more into the camp than just thinking about leaving. You were able to live in the moment and now you have memories from it and also learned something. Life is to short to waste an education and you gained something important from the camp. Nice job
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel morning meeting can be pretty brutal sometimes. Just sitting there to announcements that do not have to do with you and listening to things you do not want to hear about ect.
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job on this!!And it applies to everyone which is really nice.
I like how you compare the boredom of morning meeting to the eventual excitement of your camp. You show us how you grew to enjoy your surroundings and find enjoyment in a situation that would not necessarily be your first choice. good job mahottie. POTP
ReplyDeleteYou did a splendid job at taking the reader along with you to your world of distraction. I forgot we were sitting in bradley hall at the beginning of it. Any way, I think Ron did the right thing by making you go there. Yeaaaa interfaith camp! "more open in a situation and let let loose." great advice man. LET LOOSE! okay! Stay positive and remember to
ReplyDelete