Me: I can't do this, it's really high
Mind: Jump in the water, nothing bad will happen. You know how to do this
Me: Shit, no I don't
Mind: You know how to swim and the edge is right there, just don't panic
Me: No I really can't do this
Mind: But you're friends are here helping you, they're even waiting for you down at the bottom
Me: But can they catch me when I get right down there?
Mind: Everything will be okay, you're not that far from the rocks, you know how to swim, so just it will be alright. Just put one foot up and slowly stand
Me: I'm scared something bad will happen as I hit the water
(big guy jumps off bridge and the whole bridge shakes)
Me: Oh no, I'm not doing it anymore
Mind: It's okay, once you jump, you'll float right up like ice in water
Me: Well what if I don't come back up?
Mind: You will, I promise
Me: Well can you come with me then?
Mind: I'll be there with you the whole time

This is a really nice piece because in it you concur a major fear. I like the part at the end when you asked your mind to come with you. to some it might seem obvious but, since i am a trained lifeguard professional, i know that a lot of people "leave there mind behind" when they swim. It was a good read.
ReplyDelete#MV! Martha's Vineyard is a great place to do your first bridge jumping! You were so brave for jumping off it! Even though you panicked after, you now know that if you're thrown into water you can swim to shore. How often do you go to the vineyard? Do you go along with your best of friends? That must be an amazing experience ! It's always nice to have your closest friends there helping out and a strong willed mind :)
ReplyDeleteMira you have no idea how proud I am of you for conquering your fear. I know that this has always been a struggle for you and the fact that you were brave enough to do it amazing. Congrats!
ReplyDelete