Monday, September 13, 2010

Prompt 2

I love the personal style of writing where instead of Gilbert telling a boring story, she is telling her life and makes it very personal, not just dates and times of random events. So for Eat, Pray, Love, I really love how Gilbert is just real about everything and she isn't really telling some story that people want to hear but rather real life actions and experiences that are entertaining. I think her life might have been boring up until the events in the book, but I also think it's one of those situations that could only happen to someone like her, who was just completely bored with her life up to that point and prayed for some way out of it. So far, I love the part about the pregnancy issue, especially when she said that when she got her period she wasn't like FML like every other girl in the world who wishes her period would never ever come, but instead she said thank you over and over again which I thought was kind of cool. Especially since she thought of her period as a means for not being pregnant, which was a way of saying basically that getting pregnant was the worst thing in the world. 


I loved this part, "Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it's what you want before you commit," (10). I kind of felt like her sister was referring to having a baby was a setback in life, I guess it was the wording she used, "before you commit," that made it seem like committing to having a baby was a bad thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Amirah, although I can't relate to what she is actually going thorough with her period, I also too liked how she changes the way that the reader looks at real life situations. The "stereotype", I suppose you could say, about periods is that they are annoying and unwanted, and I think that its cool how she appreciates it as opposed to complaining about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean!! i really like the way she talks to you like a friend not a reader. I also liked her part about the pregnancy because she writes it in a way that a lot of women have experienced.

    ReplyDelete