Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Prompt 16

"Abandoning all desires, acting without craving, free, from all thoughts of "I" and "mine," that man finds utter peace" (59). 

I think throughout this life, we all want something. Whether it is something as simple as an ice cream cone, or something huge like a million dollars, everyone has wants. It’s also a part of human nature to want something. We walk by expensive stores and think, “Oh man, I wish I had the money to buy this,” knowing that never in a million years, we could never afford something like that. “Abandoning all desires,” means to lose all wants and needs and I don’t think we could live without them.
The worse part about wanting is the selfishness. When we wish for something, it is usually for ourselves. We rarely wish for something for someone else, or something that someone else could use more than we ever can. This relates to me, because I know that I participate in these selfish activities. I’m always window-shopping, knowing that I will not buy those material items. This quote perfectly sums up why the “man” can’t be at peace. We desire way too much for ourselves, that we forget to appreciate what we already have. Our desires take over and reality loses itself somewhere in that realm. It’s not wrong to want something, but we want in excess way too often. It’s normal, but we always want what we can’t have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment